project:simplify • week five
This is the last week of Project:Simplify—Simple Mom revealed the final hot spot yesterday morning—and once again I am many miles from home & unable to participate in anything like a timely manner.
If you’ve been following along, you may also have noticed that I didn’t post any “after” pictures of my pantry/refrigerator cleaning before we left town on Saturday. That is—as you may have guessed—because I didn’t get it finished in time. But I have a good reason—really!
I’ve mentioned here before that we have been living in our house on a short-term lease, which began in October and ended last Thursday—at which point the house went back on the market. We are planning to live here until it sells—which isn’t even close to a known quantity, with the way the market is around here—or we find someplace so absolutely perfect for us (preferably with cheaper rent than we’re paying now) that if we passed on it & our landlord sold her house the next week we’d be kicking ourselves for not taking it.
Our landlord had mentioned some repairs she wanted to make before listing the house, and since those hadn’t happened yet we thought the house might be going on the market later than planned. I’ve been slowly organizing and cleaning—and of course when you do that slowly, things tend to look worse before they start to look better—and my dining room seemed a bit like a fabric store and a yarn store and a Salvation Army store all blew up inside it—but I wasn’t overly concerned because, after all, the new counters hadn’t been put in yet so certainly I had time.
And then the Realtor called on Wednesday night to find out what times worked for us as far as showing the house was concerned. Apparently the repairs were a nonstarter—and the house was in MLS as of that evening.
So. The basement pantry remains completely untouched—because what buyer would expect a basement to be organized, anyway?—the refrigerator was partly cleaned out but still hasn’t been emptied and scrubbed, and the rest of it got sort of haphazardly reorganized—
I did make some changes I’ve been meaning to take care of for a few weeks now—for instance, the bread box now lives on a shelf out of Julia’s reach, so she has to ask me for a piece of bread instead of taking a bite out of the bottom of the loaf & then putting it back…
I slapped some nice new labels on my old glass jars and milk bottles (because god forbid my labels don’t match…I might have a nervous breakdown) and found uses for many more that were being stored, empty, in the basement since our move—
And when I was done, my littlest helper was there to check my work—
I may or may not get to finishing the task at hand here—it all depends, I think, on whether I find myself having to pack up and move house again soon. I’m glad to have taken part in this project inasmuch as I was able to, though—if we do end up having to move again, it feels like we’re a bit ahead of the game since so much of our home is better organized than it was before, so we’ll be able to pack and move and then reorganize in our new house much more easily. So even though I didn’t do quite as much as I hoped—since we’ve been on the road two out of the five weeks—overall I have to consider this experiment a success.