Skip to content

random craziness

Tuesday, 17 August 2010

I haven’t posted in forever. I haven’t had time to even think about posting in forever. This situation will resolve itself in a few weeks, but for now, my life in a nutshell:

The kids are doing great. Asher’s adoption will be finalized on 14 September – there were a few additional hoops to jump through on that because my brother was living with us until very recently, so he had to be added to our home study – and we’re thrilled and greatly relieved that the legal rigamarole is almost over with that.

Relieved because . . . we’re moving. Neither of us is particularly thrilled about this. No, that’s an understatement. I can’t speak for George, but “not particularly thrilled” is actually the most positive feeling I’m having about it. As we get the house ready to put on the market next week and the time of our move draws nearer, I find myself spending more and more time on the “completely devastated” end of the spectrum.

It’ll be fine. It’ll be good. We’ll make it good. But we don’t want to leave Buffalo, we didn’t like living in Connecticut last time we lived there, and I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t already counting the days until we can move back.

But I don’t have time to be upset now. I’m too busy getting the house ready for the move. We had to hire contractors to do a lot of the work we’d planned on getting around to ourselves – eventually – once “eventually” disintegrated and we were faced with a deadline. Over the last two and a half months we’ve done gut renovation on the washroom, had the falling-down ceiling in the living room replaced, and had the walls in the living room, foyer, upstairs hallway, and Asher’s room repaired and painted. Our shed – which we started building four or five years ago – is built; I’m painting it this week. Carpet is being laid in Asher’s and Julia’s rooms on Thursday; I’m still waiting to hear from my electrician about installing some new lighting this week. The plumber is putting a new toilet in the washroom on the third floor on Wednesday.

I have to touch up some paint, do a few small repairs, and scrub every surface in the house to within an inch of its life. And then we’re done. The house hits the market the middle of next week, and then it’ll be a matter of maintaining it in that impossible “no one lives here” state of cleanliness until it sells.

Move date is tentatively the week of 18 October. Hopefully between now and then things will calm down a bit and I can write more often.

2 Comments leave one →
  1. Tuesday, 17 August 2010 11:31 am

    Completely devastated part of the spectrum really sucks. And when there’s nothing else to do…ugh. (Of course, I’m STILL mourning the loss of my Buffalo life.)

    Right before we left, we did the Buffalo food tour of Buffalo. That was probably the only real good part of leaving. I think I still have the 2lbs I gained on that adventure…

  2. Tuesday, 17 August 2010 11:52 am

    Sounds like you’re doing a great job. Knowing what it’s like to have two little ones, you and George deserve a medal.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: